Pa'lante's Back to School Guide•
Posted on September 24 2023
The first few weeks of school are underway, but it's not too late to take a look at your progress so far and strategize on how to make the most of this year!
Think about how you want to foster connections with chapter members and alumni, what types of clubs and involvements will complement your chapter role, and how to stay true to yourself 🥲 These super simple reminders will help you stay grounded as you get into your rhythm. Thank you to my new shop assistant for the semester, Vanessa, for putting together this lovely guide! 💖
Take the time to reflect and decide what you would like to get out of this school year
- Set goals/intentions that are realistic (you can always revisit and update them as the year goes on)
- You could even choose a word or a phrase that you would like to embrace this year!
Determine the impact you would like to leave
- For example, if you have the capacity consider mentoring another member/underclassman
Look to the future! Consider joining another club outside of your org/becoming a student leader/interning to help get you closer to your goals
- Tip: Consider talking to your peers, especially upperclassmen
Figure out a system that works best for you as you get used to being back in school
- For example, where will you keep track of assignments and due dates?
- Consider implementing software that works for you, like Notion, Trello, Asana, your notes app on your phone, Google Keep, etc.
Use this opportunity to get to know alumni both inside and outside of your chapter & check in again with those you already know!
- Making these connections can result in lifelong relationships and support
Introduce yourself to your professors! Take the time to talk to them either at the end of class or visit them during office hours.
- For example: “Hi __________ my name is ________ and I am looking forward to learning more about _________ / I really enjoyed today’s activity because ________ “
- Making the connection with your professors earlier on in the semester will help you in the long run
Always Do You
- Do things that make you feel good and fuel your passions!
Follow your own timeline, you don’t need to be at the same place others are. It sounds corny but this is your college journey!
- It’s not a competition. This is a time to discover YOUR own interests so join groups and attend events that align with your values and make you happy!
- Most importantly, slow down and enjoy the time you have in undergrad!
Pa'lante's Back to ...
The first few weeks of school are underway, but it's not too late to take a look at your progress so far and strategize on how to make the most of ...Read More
Calling Out vs. Cal...
Calling out...calling in... these buzzwords have been extra prevalent over the last year with calls for social justice reform and action in our com...Read More
Mid-November Shop U...
Welcome friends! I'm back at it with another round of shop updates. The last few months have been extraordinarily busy (both here,with school, and ...Read More